Friday, May 20, 2016

5 for Friday: Meal Time Savers

This week has been bananas. Scratch that the last two weeks have-- wait, no actually the whole last month has been a 'hang-on-for-dear-life' ride full of to do lists, to do-right-now lists, and what-is-wrong-with-you-do-it-yesterday-to do lists. I'm really hoping that things are going to slow down (read: I'm going to try to prioritize my time better), but until then I've been leaning on these meal starters hard recently. I generally try to make everything from scratch or scratch-ish, but that is simply because I enjoy cooking and really like to know what I'm putting in my body. These little short cuts/ okay in some cases pre-made meals have been what gets food on the table while the dog is stealing neighbors toys, we are scrubbing our fingers raw to get the accidentally-purchased-oil-based primer out of our bath tub, and the work day drags into the work night.

1) Trader Joe's Spinach Tortellini
Fresh Spinach Tortellini
Throw this some spinach, ground turkey, garlic, and tomato sauce together for an easy 15 minute meal that tastes great and is budget friendly. Pair with a nice glass of dirty laundry or a serving of bills to be paid.

2) Tamales
Texas Tamale Company is always good, yet even better when there is no time to make a real dinner. I personally love the chicken and the spinach, but I heard that the black bean ones are delicious with a side of eggs for breakfast. Heat up some charo beans, slice some tomatoes and an avocado, and enjoy while trying to figure out exactly how to fold a fitted sheet or better yet hiding it in a closet minutes before company arrives.

3) Pre-Made Rotisserie Chicken
I love cooking whole chickens, I love the smell, I love the taste, and I love how fancy I feel pulling a whole bird out for dinner. However, I also love that buying the pre-made chicken at the grocery store means we can eat before midnight. I like mine with green beans and crescent rolls. Best served on clean dishes or paper plates, or straight from the plastic container. No shame.

4) California Pizza Kitchen's Frozen White Pizza
Confession: I've never actually been to CPK. Confession: I generally don't like pizza. Confession: This one may be going too far, but in grad school I would buy one of these during Fridays in lent and just eat this all day. There is a little spinach on it... so that must count for something. Love these suckers and piling on some kalamata olives and red pepper flakes. Best prepared in an oven. Pro tip: don't try to clean said oven while cooking pizza.

5) Crock pot anything!
I've been using thsi bad boy quite a few times recently to just be able to eat something with half the work.

What about you? Any meal time savers that you're digging?
-S


3 comments:

  1. Rotisserie chicken really is the best and I'm so with you on the crock pot, we make at least one a week!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love making a whole chicken; so easy to do and it gives me meat for the whole week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i suck at cooking, so if i'm eating a whole chicken it is because i bought it at the grocery lol. we have been eating frozen pizzas lately, so not good but SO good. i have eaten at CPK once and it was okay, my frozen pizza from digiornos (i think?) is better. i will have to try that tortellini, though without the laundry or bills please.

    ReplyDelete