Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Scariest Movie I Have Ever Seen, That I Haven't Actually Seen

While working from home the other day, I noticed some fishy comings and goings happening in a property nearby. Recently a big fancy townhome builder came in and bought the property up, but they haven't actually knocked down the old building. Because the comings and goings didn't quite look like they were of the townhome-building-meeting variety, I was less than thrilled with the safety of these encounters and called the non-emergency police line. Being married to lawyer, I knew was told that if the individuals were smart enough to lock the door behind them there was very little that the police would do without a real danger, I still kept my eyes locked (through blinds because I'm a wimp) at the property for the rest of the day. The non-emergency police dispatch woman even told me I gave a very good description of the individuals (I watch way too many crime shows and found this the highest compliment). The glamour of city living is not lost on me. Sitting there huddled against the window reminded me of the scariest movie I've ever seen, that I have never actually seen. 

Or I guess, that I've never actually finished. I've lived in fear of this movie for decades. Or close to that. A little after Andrew and I were married, we were debating what movie to watch one evening. Somehow we got set on watching a scary movie (quite the rarity) and I tried to explain to him the scariest movie I've ever seen. I was going through the limited details I remember from a movie that I watched as a child and he asked what happened next. Ugh, I don't know. I didn't ever see the ending. Not only is that a frustrating end to a conversation, but it led to a frustrating google search of what the movie was.

Eventually I found the movie on youtube and with glee started it. I was so scared. I shrieked, I hid my eyes, I gritted my teeth until... well, I fell asleep. Andrew finished the movie that he didn't want to watch anyways and all was well. The next morning I was furious at myself for not finishing it. I prodded Andrew, who was decidedly in the camp of 'that movie wasn't a tad bit scary' until I just turned on the movie and watched it again the next afternoon. Well, something must have been in the water because I fell asleep. Again. 

Over the past couple years, I've asked him multiple times what happens at the end, but have yet to receive an answer. So here I am, a middle schooler away from the first time I 'watched' this movie and I still don't know what happens. Sitting here huddled against the window watching the comings and goings from a closed window kinda makes me want to start it again, but I just don't know if I can end my streak.

The movie was the made for TV remake (I know, I know) of Rear Window.
Rear Window Poster
"Who is watching who?"

Anyone out there if this movie (not the original and not the other one) is actually scary?
-S

2 comments:

  1. I am SUCH a suck when it comes to all things scary. I was even really scared (like, tears) from watching Black Swan a few years ago!
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh. honestly, just the poster scares me. i am the biggest wimp, gremlins gave me nightmares for years. did anything happen with the people coming and going near your house? good job on giving good descriptions, that is a fabulous compliment :)

    ReplyDelete