Wednesday, April 27, 2016

One Thing I'm Good At (This Summer)

My parents were blessed with three daughters. Three daughters that never fought, never threw each other over couches, never borrowed eyeliner with no intention of returning it, and never cheated in Marco Polo. Three angels in heavy disguise. Now that we all pretend to be grown and don't have the opportunity to fight to the death over pool games as much as we used to, having 2 sisters is incredible. There is rarely a day where I haven't talked, texted, face timed, emailed, or actually seen one of them. Truly, the best gift that my parents have given us is each other.

But in no way shape or form did they bother to create 3 sisters that are alike. Yes, in many regards we could be nothing more alike, but in a heck of a lot more ways are absolutely nothing alike. One of the most obvious ways (other than my lack of red hair) were our hobbies turned passions, With an arts background, I see everything somewhat through that lens. When my younger sister played collegiate athletics, I caught so much slack for inadvertently, repeatedly calling her uniforms costume. Potato, potato- right? And sometimes I just think of my life as one big musical... without the singing, without most of the dancing, but definitely including an intermission. Okay I may have included that line to force them to roll their eyeballs back into their heads so far they will get stuck (... I see you through the computer screen!!!) but I guess that is what years of acting classes gets you.

The advantage of being predispositioned to artsy-fartsy things is that I have a plethora of cool things to do, see, or visit. For most performing art genres, organizations pull back from there regularly scheduled programming during the summer months and either go dark or produce something special. This means there are TONS of things to do in the arts over the summer.

So inspired by Chesson's list of things to do in Colombia this summer, here are my Houston Recommendations for a FREE and ART FILLED Summer!

1) Houston Shakespeare Festival


Oh how I love you so. There is nothing like bringing a picnic basket full of wine cheese and crackers to the hill to watch 3 hours of Shakespeare tipsy full of carbs. They rotate 2 plays through the 1 and a half week run (this year Henry V and Much Ado About Nothing), so whether you want a little dose of Middle Aged warfare or listen to gossip in olde english there is something for everyone.

2) Museums

Houston Museum District

Houston has some incredible museums that, as a general rule of humanity in Houston, have A/C. Andrew and I have been working our way through this list of free museum days and the museums that are free EVERYDAY! 

Free Museum Days in Houston Museum District:


Buffalo Soldiers National Museum – Thursday 1 pm – 5 pm
Houston Museum of Natural Science – Thursday 3 pm – 6 pm
Museum of Fine Arts, Houston — Thursday 10 am – 9 pm — Kids 12 & under free every day
Children’s Museum of Houston — Thursday 5 pm – 8 pm
The Health Museum — Thursday 2 pm – 5 pm
Holocaust Museum Houston – Thursday 2 pm – 5 pm
Houston Museum of African-American Culture — Thursday 6 pm – 8 pm
Czech Center Museum Houston – Last Monday each month, noon -4 pm

Free Everyday: Our favorites are the Contemporary Arts Museum and the Menil Collection


Asia Society Texas Center (all spaces except Louisa Stude Sarofim Gallery)
Contemporary Arts Museum Houston
DiverseWorks (Gallery Space)
Houston Center for Contemporary Craft
Houston Center for Photography
The Jung Center
Lawndale Art Center
The Menil Collection
Rice University Art Gallery
Rothko Chapel

3) Miller Outdoor Theatre- 


Miller Outdoor Theatre is an outdoor theatre in one of Houston's most beloved parks. It offers 8 months of diverse professional programming- and the kicker is it is all FREE! As the largest 'always free' program of its kind in the country, Houston is lucky to have it. I've spent many a summer night sweating there and at first I wanted to write about the Exxon Mobile Summer Nights Houston Symphony performances, but when I looked over the whole summer season there was so much stuff that I didn't even know happened there! My picks would include: Tosca in late May by the Houston Grand OperaHouston Ballet perfoming in early May, and MetDance's Summer Sizzling Dance.  All free, Houston folks!

Okay, so now I will go back to burying my head in the sand and pretending summer won't happen...
-S



4 comments:

  1. I love having inspired this post! & I love that all of the things to do on it are free. Who doesn't love free things to do in the summer??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww love that strong bond you have with your sisters!! The fact that all these are Free is amazing! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me so sad that I didn't have any sisters! I have a great bond with my little brother, but have always wished to have a sister as well. That outdoor theater looks amazing! Perfect for fun summer nights :)
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so amazing that you and your sisters always got along! Seems like you have lots to keep you busy this summer!
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete