Monday, March 14, 2016

Thailand In Photos... Kinda



I can't wait to go into more details about our recent Thailand trip, but thought that a picture really is worth 1000 words (and with the House of Card binge watching I'm doing, I don't have time for 1000 words). Thailand was beautiful in ways that I totally didn't expect. There would be chaos right next to a serene slice of calm. The first group of photos are from our time in Bangkok and Ayutthaya.

Flowers outside Jim Thompson's House (a US expat and silk mogul who mysteriously disappeared)

Boat in Ayutthaya on our river cruise

Big Buddha (quite literally) in an Ayutthaya wat






































Bangkok just starting to come alive for the night markets

Street food in Bangkok's China Town

Reclining Buddha in Ayutthaya

Sunset in Ayutthaya

Grand Palace in Bangkok

Grand Palace (and great face) in Bangkok

I thought this guy looked like Andrew... Andrew thought he looked like me

Grand Palace in Bangkok

Grand Palace in Bangkok

Reclining Buddha in Bangkok

Wat Arun in Bangkok

Wat Arun in Bangkok

Train Station in Bangkok

Ayutthaya

Ayutthaya

Now this is where things get interesting. Just as sun was setting in Ayutthaya I noticed that the camera battery was low; by the end of the evening it was completly dead. We charged the battery in the hotel (with a travel charger we bought mere hours before we boarded our long, long flight) and thought that in a few hours we would be good to go. Unfortunately, the battery didn't charge. No big deal- we thought that it must be a weak converter problem and tried again the next morning... no dice. By this point we were pretty bummed with half the trip left. We bought a charger and STILL the battery didn't charge. As a last ditch effort, we asked our friends to bring a Nikon charger when we met them in Phi Phi Island... AND IT STILL DIDN'T WORK.

So no sugar coating here, I was pretty bummed about no good camera for the end of the trip. I keep thinking of waking up on the overnight train and looking out the window. The countryside was beautiful, lush, and exactly what I thought Thailand would look like. I looked up and saw for the first time in my life a blood red sunrise. The way the red tinted the landscape, the vibrant countryside, and traditional homes all made it so very picturesque. This will be how I remember Thailand. No photos to make it  a memory to share. Just Andrew and I in a terrifyingly jolt-y train barreling up Thailand under the blood red sunrise. 

I can fully admit I wish the camera battery gods had obliged and that I have just as many pictures of the end half of the trip as the beginning, but I don't. iPhone snaps will just have to do. 
Chaing Mai

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai

Chaing Mai

Phi Phi Don Island

Phi Phi Don Island

Phi Phi Don Island

Phi Phi Don Island
Phi Phi Don Island
Phi Phi Don Island

And I leave with you my BFF elephant friend,
-S



8 comments:

  1. I had the same feelings about India...extreme calm next to the most chaotic places!! I've never had the desire to visit Thailand, but after this post I might have to rethink that! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pictures! We went here for our honeymoon and I never recapped it! Sad I didn't. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so beautiful!! my trainer is going to thailand for 2wks next month and i'm so jelly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i'm sorry your camera battery didn't charge! at least you had your iphone though, better than nothing, right? it really does look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! The camera thing would have ruined the trip for me :( Glad that you made the best of it though and all of your pictures look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah I love all of this! Sorry to hear your camera went bad, but at least iPhones have improved. I keep taking shots with my iPhone in Fiji and need to remember to bring out my nicer camera!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been looking forward to these pictures so much! Even your iPhone snaps are stunning, so don't worry! I don't think any camera can make Thailand look bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These pictures are amazing! I'm so jealous! And your phone photos came out pretty darn great too :)

    ReplyDelete