Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Monday Runday... on a Tuesday


So there is a reason why I posted the above picture. 1- This Netflix documentary is awesome; go watch it. 2- It reminded me, yet again, that I'm a total wimp. You see I'm signed up for another half marathon in 3 weeks and started to get a little antsy about the elevation change. The change isn't huge, but Houston is about as flat as a pancake and I really want to be prepared. I looked at the elevation chart, spent waaaaay too long researching treadmill hill workouts, and did what I do best: carbo load.

And then I started this on my Netflix. OH MY GOODNESS. What a wake up call to put my 12th bear claw of the day down, thank my lucky stars that I am NOT running the Barkley, and realize how much of a total wimp I am. The Barkley Marathons is an event like no other. It is almost like an anti-race. The Barkley boasts around 120,000 ft of elevation change. Nope- didn't typo. 120,000 feet on an unmarked course, in the dark, no aid stations, no medical attention, and only a dozen or so of finishers EVER like ALL YEARS COMBINED. You see the runners come out looking like...


A camera crew member from the documentary got lost while filming for 16 hours. 16 hours... and he wasn't even running the darn race. I think this put my measly elevation change back into perspective. Also- it was highly entertaining- go watch it.

This was a great training week. The weather was good enough to get lots of outside miles in AND I focused on stretching and foam rolling, so while I still have some mystery pains, I feel pretty good. This is how the week looked.

M- Barre Class and 3 miles
T- Rest Day and a late night at work
W- 4m with 2 tempo miles at 8:20 pace and kickball
Th- Yoga
F- 10 miles at 9:04 pace
Sa- Rest Day
S- 6 miles

My A goal is to run an 8:45 pace for the upcoming half marathon, but right now I'm focusing on staying injury free and really pushing myself during tempo miles. For my long run this week, my goal is to stay alert. I took a bit of a tumble on my 10 miler this weekend (scary, but was able to get up and finish) and don't want to find myself in a similar situation on race day. 

Anybody got a race coming up?
-S

5 comments:

  1. That looks like a documentary that I need to watch! & oh no about your tumble! That's one thing I'm constantly worrying about while running - I do NOT want to experience one of those! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that sounds like the movie wild lol!! That is nuts!! It's nice to watch things that put things into perspective for yourself, but it doesn't mean what you are feeling isn't valid! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I've never heard of the Barkley Marathons and I'm not a running but I love extreme competition stuff like this! Good luck with your training :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well that sounds absolutely horrible. i might have to watch that documentary. that sucks about your tumble, it's so scary when that happens. i have a half marathon coming up in 1 month and 1 day, but who's counting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That documentary looks so interesting! That marathon sounds super, super scary, though!

    ReplyDelete