Thursday, March 24, 2016

Everyday Life Is An Irrational And Scary Place


Last week I had an absolutely bizarre experience at work where an individual I was meeting with told me "to hold my breath" while she said something.  It was weird. I didn't quite know when I was allowed to breath again, but by the end of it I was so focused on holding my breath that I couldn't concentrate. The only good thing that has come from that was now I'm making a habit of using "hold your breath" in almost every conversation I can. 

So, hold your breath... I then started thinking that there are very few moments where I seriously hold my breath. The only two instances I could think of were for hiccuping (doesn't work for me) and when I'm scared in movies, while reading, or (more times than I would like to admit) in real life. 

I have a lot of irrational fears. A lot of irrational fears. I'm naturally a skittish person and have developed quite the repertoire of things that terrify me through the years. Most of these come and go in waves, but with a few of them I think of the irrational fear almost every day. I'm airing my dirty laundry today, folks. You may want to "hold your breath" while reading this...

1) The elevator in my office dropping mid-ride and killing me instantaneously. Dramatic AND terrifying.

2)Passing out while running/ getting hit by car/ being abducted by a serial killer who just so happens to be on the loose while I'm on a run and no one being able to find me. I do think the serial killer option is exclusively fueled by my love for Criminal Minds, but that doesn't make it any less scary. Also- if you want to know any safety apps for running just holler!

3)Accidentally leaving the stove, curling iron, or any other fire causing device on when I leave in the morning and burning the house down.

4)Tripping while running and breaking my front teeth in half (creepily specific).

Anyone else have daily fears float through their mind? I'd love to hear...
-S

5 comments:

  1. You are so not alone in these irrational fears...most of mine happen when we travel and involve something happening to the plane. I also think about things when I'm on the train to work...like what if the train derails (happened last weekend not on a train I was on) and things like that! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so I was absolutely half way through a post just like this!! It's so true, regardless of how irrational, it's still scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes to all of these! so funny because i avoid the elevator for that reason, but then i am taking the stairs too fast and i basically picture the last one, but instead of running i'm on the stairs and i picture myself falling and dying and no one finding me. haha. or just breaking my teeth. that would suck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #3 - YES all the time. I am constantly going back in to check and make sure things are turned off/locked up/not running. It drives me (& my fiancé) up the wall but I can't break that habit. Also, #4? That one wasn't a fear of mine until I saw someone do it (while riding a bike) right in front of me. It makes me cringe every time I think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally love this! I love how specific and random the running, tripping and busting your teeth one is. One of mine is someone secretly living in my house and me not knowing it. I saw this CSI episode like 10 years ago with a storyline like that and it's freaked me out ever since!

    ReplyDelete