Monday, March 21, 2016

Breakfast Done Right- Easy, Peasy Egg Muffins




I haven't always been the best breakfast eater. More often than not in college and the couple years after, I would either forget to eat it entirely or shove some honey-nut/frosted/sugar-coated cereal in my face as I ran around perpetually 5 minutes late to life. I eventually (and begrudgingly) started to take my first baby steps into adulthood and decided that jamming a greek yogurt container (and spoon... most days) in my purse was almost as easy as shoving cereal in my face. And that is just kinda how I 'did' breakfast the past couple years.

It totally took me by surprise one time when I was comparing greek yogurt brands at the grocery store that many are full of sugar. In fact, my old preferred brand had 15g (more than half of my daily dietary recommendation) in one serving. It wasn't even an exciting kind of greek yogurt- no fruit on the bottom or anything. So I said to myself, "Self,  I don't want to waste my daily sugar allotment on greek yogurt. I would much rather have 3.5 gummy worms or those fun size snickers that everyone has on their desks." And I set out on a journey to find something easy, peasy that would do for breakfast. I tried toast- boring. I tried oatmeal- horrible. I tried- okay I actually went back to greek yogurt for a while because old habits run deep.

Eventually I doctored up these egg muffins and have been going strong with them ever since. I make a batch on Sunday while meal prepping and the 10 minutes it takes to prep them gives me breakfasts for a whole week. I take 2 with me to work each day, pop them in the microwave for 20 seconds, and then enjoy plotting out much more delicious ways to ingest sugar than greek yogurt. :)


I love these babies because they are so low maintenance and allow me to start the day with a veggies and protein. I change up the recipe a bit each week depending on what veggies are on sale, what I have left over, and pair that with the cheese of my choice. What isn't to love?

Easy Peasy Egg Muffins


Ingredients

8 large eggs
1/2 cup milk of your choice
1/2 cup cheese (used feta this round, but loved goat and pepper jack before)
1 pepper
1/2 onion
1/4 cup black olives
OR any veggies you have lying around
Red pepper flakes (season to your liking)
Muffin tin liners


Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Beat eggs and milk together lightly
Dice veggies and add to egg mixture
Add cheese, stir, and season to your liking
Pour mixture into each lined muffin tin (I usually aim for about 1/3 cup for each muffin)
Bake for 20-25 minutes (until fork comes out cleanly)
Cool and store in refrigerator for up to 5 days

Yields around 14 muffins


Happy Breakfasting!
-S

6 comments:

  1. These look super easy to make & look like they make breakfast time in the morning oh so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made something like this in a while and I love how you can just grab and go during the week! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. yesssss! so easy to make but i hate cleaning out the tin. does the egg stick to the paper?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought to add olives before!!! YUM!!!! & feta cheese is always a win to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i normally eat baked beans for breakfast.. okay i know that sounds weird haha but i eat english baked beans and they are traditionally breakfast food so i'm not that weird! or maybe i am, haha. but anyway, i have seen these everywhere but never made them. obviously i need to give them a go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUMMM we juts bought 18 eggs (mostly for decorating) but now I neeeeeed to make these!

    ReplyDelete