Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Thailand Itinerary

Confession 1- The past week or so I was waking up with cold sweats at night vacillating over whether I've planned way too much or absolutely nothing for our upcoming trip. I then go spend hours on my tripadvisor app in bed trying to screen the bright light of my phone to not wake Andrew up and add 17 more things to our list then promptly remove 24 other things off our itinerary. I started this master organizational sheet with phone numbers and our hotels' names in Thai characters, but I hadn't got more than a couple days in because... well that just isn't really how I like to travel.

In my real life, I have to be organized so things don't fall apart. I meal plan, to-do list, and prioritize everything because if I didn't I'd probably just watch West Wing all day (shout out to Josh Limon). Traveling, however, is a vacation.I love to go with the flow- have a hotel booked and a couple 'must dos' but not hit absolutely everything with a frantic timed schedule. However, since we haven't ever been to an Eastern country before, I was a tad nervous that I need to make sure we have our ducks in a row. My Spanish is deplorable, but at least I TRIED to ask for the bano in South America... my Thai is, well, zilch. So if I could barely find the darn bathroom in Chile, how am I thinking I will navigate 5 cities in Thailand?!?

Confession 2- I basically started writing this post to get my butt into gear on logistics planning, but about halfway through  the itinerary I realized 'oh wow, we do have a lot planned.' I do think we have our bases covered (okay, except one city where we don't have a place to stay yet...) and actually am thinking more broadly now. There are a couple jam packed days that I'm thinking are flexible- like we could do 17 things or we could just walk around and eat a ton of Thai food. So thanks blogosphere for the we-have-actually-planned wake up call! I can now wake up with cold sweats about something else!


Here is how it looks as it stands:

Day 1- Get on plane to THAILAND, take some Nyquil, and fall asleep. OR not fall asleep because although we may be getting on the plane at midnight here in the states, it will be 1pm local time in Bangkok. See whether sleepiness or excited energy for the trip wins out and either sleep or not sleep depending on the victor.

Day 2- Spend the whole damn day on a plane (curse you time changes and long international flights).

Day 3- 
Stretch out legs, see if said legs still move, force said legs to become un-sedentary. ARRIVE IN THAILAND! Be overwhelmed by awesomeness and make out way to hotel! See a man about a suit and Jim Thompson house. If we can stay awake long enough, check out a sky bar and 'the best pad thai in thailand', if not- save those outings for a later day.

Day 4- 
Temple day! Visit the Grand Palace, Wat Phra Kaew, Wat Arun, and Wat Pho while spending the day eating through exploring the city!

Day 5- 
Board a train to Ayutthaya (seriously the train costs like 50 cents), rent bikes to tour the ruins, check out their local food scene (theme), and catch an overnight train.

Day 6- 
Arrive in Chiang Mai in the morning! Check out the Old City (possibly sneak in a monk chat), and climb the 309 steps to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep. If we are being brave... then we may try to motorbike ourselves to the Wat Phra That Doi Suthep... we will see!

Day 7- 
Visit Patara Elephant Park! Possibly what I am the most excited for. After doing a lot on online research about responsible tourism, I feel confident that we picked a good place to spend time with these magnificent creatures. Geek out over said elephants and possibly try to live with them forever.

Day 8- 
Flight to Phuket, boat ride to Phi Phi Island, check in to paradise. Possibly what my husband is most looking forward to will be a couple days of rest, relaxation, and beach. Meet up with a couple friends of ours and enjoy the island.

Day 9- 
Scuba diving! Try to be better than last time...

Day 10- 
Wake up enjoying the island and head out to hike up to Phi Phi Viewpoint. More rest and more relaxation.

Day 11- 
Beachy things and a possible cooking class. Head back on a boat to Phuket.

Day 12- 
Possibly Sea Canoeing with a late night flight back to Bangkok.

Day 13- 
Pick up Andrew's new custom made suit, maybe check out some of the markets if we get the chance, then head to the airport for the trip home! 


So while I know that I probably missed something that MUST BE pre-planned (FOMO), I feel good about our plans for now. Honestly the only way we will find out is by being there! Now if we could make time hurry up! 

-S

6 comments:

  1. I want to go on all of your worldly adventures, if just to see the animals. Penguins last time, elephants this time?? Jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done an awesome job planning out your trip! I haven't even really thought about our Thailand portion yet, all I know is we land in Phuket on April 5th. I will totally be following along for tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this itinerary! i laughed at 'curse you time changes and long international flights'.. at least you don't lose a day on the way back, right? i can't wait for you to come back and post all about it, not gonna lie. i'm kicking myself i didn't go when it was so close (not to mention cheap).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl.... you've done an amazing job planning your itinerary! Your trip is going to be INCREDIBLE!! I can't wait for the recaps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This entire post has me dreaming! Your plans sound great and I can't wait to hear all about that pad thai!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely sounds like you have quite a bit planned! I am so excited to hear about this adventure of yours. Especially that elephant park! I'm sure you're going to have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete