Friday, February 19, 2016

Five for Friday: Recent Pinterest Wins

The internet is a big scary place full of drop-5-pounds-in-a-day diets, work-from-home-while-becoming-a-millionaire opportunities, and how-to-get-a-thigh-gap-while-eating-Doritos-on-you-couch programs. I get it. The internet IS a scary place.

One of those scary places is my beloved Pinterest, the space in which I pin all the grand plans and consistently do not accomplish them. But on the other hand I really do not care that I haven't color coded my sock drawer while perfectly applying a homemade gel manicure, so I'm just going to have to let that go. What I really love pinterest for is all the recipes at my fingertips. It makes meal planning go so much easier and spices up the rotation of what we are eating.

These are 5 Pinterest recipes that I have tried and loved recently! If you are in the mood for more, feel free to pop on over to my Pinterest Recipes That I've Actually Tried board and see if anything suits your fancy :)

You can find the previous Pinterest win posts here, and here, and here.

Tasty! Clean Eating Winter Jicama Salsa.  Hard to find good fruit salads over the winter.  This may be just the trick. This is the recipe I was telling you about @Elizabeth Bauer:
Once I realized that I actually could buy jicama at the regular grocery store and not just TJs (surprise anyone else ?!?) I knew that this would be on my list. It is delicious and crunchy and a great dessert. I loved the pop of jalapeno in it, but if you are spice averse just leave it out!

Great and easy! Easy Sweet and Spicy Mexican Cole Slaw:
I'm normally not a cole slaw fan because mayo and me just can't get on the same page. This recipes calls for no mayo (but I bet if you are a fan you could add some) and is a tasty and light side dish. It is also SUPER cheap to make because most of everything (other than the slaw) you probably have in your pantry. I added about half of the amount of honey the recipe calls for and some sunflower seeds for a good bite. 


Garlic and Paprika Chicken - Deliciously baked crispy, juicy and tender chicken drumsticks with a garlic and smoked paprika sauce.:
When drumsticks are on sale for $1 a pound I just have to stock up. This dish is totally easy and awesome. I love having the leftovers for work. My rec would be to not use as much oil as they mention, but other than that the recipe is delicious. 

Good :0 Louisiana Shrimp Gumbo- my husband is full blooded CAJUN- he cooks his gumbo like his Mother and Grandmother did- it is soooooo good cher'! Jeri D.!:
Oh man I love this one. After getting gumbo out  a couple weeks ago, I knew I needed to start making it at home. This was delicious and makes AMAZING leftovers. Seriously, I looked forward to lunch. I omitted the sausage and added about 2x as much veggies (because I'm always sneaking them in somehow). Add this to your meal plan- so tasty.

30-Minute Homemade Marinara ~ quick, flavorful sauce made with ripe tomatoes, fresh herbs, garlic and a touch of balsamic vinegar | FiveHeartHome.com
We don't eat a lot of pasta in our house, but this fresh tomato sauce was definitely a treat to have. I'm not a fan of canned sauces, so when something promises me that all it takes is 30 minutes and a ton of veggies I am so there. 

Any favorite Pinterest recipes that you recommend?
-S



6 comments:

  1. definitely pinning that chicken recipe. i eat drumsticks all the time and this one looks yummy! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That slaw looks delicious! The jicama salad sounds really good too. I recently found a crock-pot tortellini recipe and it is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The jicama salad looks so delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That chicken is definitely going on our menu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg all of these are making me drool and feel very hungry! Loving the sound of garlic and paprika chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wait. 'We don't eat a lot of pasta in our house' what does that mean?! pasta is my lifeblood. that sauce looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete