Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Next Stop Thailand


Phi Phi Islands Via

Okay, well, really the next stop is more like the grocery store/dry cleaner/ Petsmart, BUT I'm thrilled to share that we finally pulled the trigger on booking our next adventure for 2016! After months of checking flights, budgeting, oogling all things Thailand online, we actually have tickets! 

The location? In a few months (not soon enough to count the days... yet), Andrew and I will be headed out to Thailand for a couple weeks. It seems like we have been talking about this trip for forever, but finally last week we actually bought our tickets to make it a reality.

I will most definitely be sharing more details as we continue to plan, but here are the highlights!

Fly into Bangkok. 

Via

Land and eat all the food as quickly as possible. Become un-jetlagged. And then the real fun starts. We definitely want to tour Wat Tramit, Wat Pho, and the Grand Palace and have heard from multiple people that they found the 'best' Thai food in Thailand- so a self guided culinary tour might be in the works. Speaking of treats, Andrew has been salivating over getting a custom made suit made in Thailand, so we hope to make that happen as well.


  
Wat Tramit,

 The Reclining Buddha image of the Wat Pho in Bangkok 
Wat Pho

  
 Grand Palace

After a couple of days soaking up the sights and sounds of Bangkok, we are headed on the cheapest (cents, I swear) train ride to Ayutthaya, the old capital a couple hours out of the city. I'm particularly excited about this leg of the journey and can't wait to biking around the ruins- although it will probably be 90 degrees in the shade.


Ayutthaya

Next we take an overnight train (both excited and scared) to Chiang Mai where... now I'm really giddy... we are going to an elephant sanctuary! We spent an embarrassing amount of time researching (more on that to come) places appear to be the most ethical tourism options. Another less important, but noteworthy perk is the place we ended up selecting takes pictures of us with the elephants- bonus I don't have to worry about losing my camera in a Thai river. Stoked. We also plan on doing some hiking through the jungles and general exploring.

Banner 5
Via

Then we spend the last leg of the trip relaxing on beaches in either Ao Nang or Phi Phi. We want to scuba for a day and then spend some time with our bums in the sand.


Via

In the meantime, you will be inundated with all of my internet research (sorry? maybe) and general excitement as this trip hurries up.

As (I'm trying to learn to) say in Thai, Laa-gawn,
-S

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for your kind words on my post yesterday! Thailand looks amazing and my husband would be salivating over a custom made suit too! i look forward to reading about your planning and trip! Have a great day, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure!! I'm so excited for you guys!! Definitely on my bucket list of places to visit!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I think I know what you need to do next: plan my honeymoon! Y'all plan and go on all of the best trips and I'm super jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!!!! if i were going to thailand, i'd also stop by a muay thai gym and train for a few days :D but that's just me. so incredible!! it looks like such a gorgeous place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow such an amazing trip, congrats!!!! And an elephant sanctuary?! So much fun :-D

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I'm seriously so excited for you!!!!!! I canNOT wait to hear more! Ah!

    Adri
    www.thegoldhummingbird.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'M SO EXCITED! Thailand has been on my list for awhile. I can't wait to live vicariously through you. Elephants and ancient ruins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also not sure if you follow her but Kait at CommuniKait wrote a few Thailand recaps not long ago.

      Delete
  8. Wow, that will be an adventure! We live in Malaysia, and thought about heading up to Thailand for our anniversary last month, but decided to stay closer to home. I've been to Chiang Mai years ago, but haven't done too much exploring of the country.

    ReplyDelete