Friday, January 29, 2016

5 fro Friday: Dance Dance Revolution


This post is sponsored by late nights in the office.

The past couple nights, I've been burning some midnight oil at the office. A couple big projects and events all ended up landing at the same time and there just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day. I am lucky enough to have an phenomenal job that is challenging, rewarding, and in which I find  meaningful work, so I really don't mind it. And anyways it leads me to share a little water cooler secret with you. One of my favorite times of the office day is... when no one is there. I love it. I love the silence. I love knowing no one will be knocking on the door. I love the fact that I will come in with (fingers crossed- significantly) less work in the morning. I love not feeling behind. I love the feeling of accomplishment of finishing something. BUT MOST OF ALL, I love late night office solo dance parties.

It seems to lighten my mood, get the blood pumping, and make me feel energized when I know no one is around and I can dance and sing along to anything I want. Last nights was further fueled by continuing the dance party to the kitchen with Andrew when I made it home from work. Sliding across the floor and doing the Charleston next to the dishwasher had me thinking that the number of dance parties we have had in our house is pretty impressive. We have some dance lessons coming up (yay anniversary present), but I'm pretty sure that we have some sweet moves already.

I encourage you to find your own list of sweet tunes for the kitchen dance floor. I would say bring out the fog machine and break open some glow sticks, but I don't want to feel outdone. And if you have the guts to challenge me to a no-talent dance party, be prepared to want to wash your eyes out with soap. There is no shame in my dance game and I'll pull out every musical theatre trick in the book to boot scoot and boogie. 

In no particular order, here are the 5 most used dance songs played in our house (okay, at least this week).

1) Robyn's Dancing On My Own
This was the impetus of the work place rave last night and might need to have a permanent place on my sweet moves playlist. I found it from a workout playlist and I'm digging the fact that I can't quite tell if she has a lisp or not.


2) Don Omar's Danza Kuduro
We first heard this song on a ridiculous party boat in the Dominican Republic and it became an instant favorite. When it became popular in the states a few months later... we basically went bananas every time it came on. I still have no idea what the words are, but will sing it at the top of my lungs. Tell me this doesn't make a spreadsheet or dish duty more fun....


3) Michael Bolton's How Can We Lovers
Theme song of my life. WHAT IS NOT TO LOVE HERE? A sweet early 90s power ballad with a mullet (that is the closest hairstyle I can attribute to the video) and a meaningful set of lyrics. What I want to know is how can we be lovers if this doesn't make you pull out some air guitar or interpretative dance moves?



4) Avett Brothers' January Wedding
Now we are getting sentimental, but after some cardio centric dance moves everyone needs to catch their breath and slow it down a bit. This was our wedding song, so it is extra special to glide across the unclean kitchen floors with the handsome man to boot. Don't worry, it speeds up a bit in the middle for a nice dance break.


5) Walk the Moon's Shut Up and Dance With Me
I alluded to it a bit in a recent post, but with a crazy year this song has been on repeat a lot over the last few months. This song will definitely be making a repeat, repeat, and repeat appearance during my race this weekend because who doesn't want to get going with a song like this.


Any of these on your 'oh dear, I hope no one sees me' playlist? Happy Friday!
-S

5 comments:

  1. I love that Michael Bolton is on your list - that just made my day! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting for an invite to the next kitchen dance party? My best dance moves come from hours of watching the Soul Train Dance Line, any year, any show, any style of music. One of my favs is the original "Dancin' in the Streets", Martha Reeves and the Vandellas or a distant second, Mick Jagger and David Bowie? Dance on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting for an invite to the next kitchen dance party? My best dance moves come from hours of watching the Soul Train Dance Line, any year, any show, any style of music. One of my favs is the original "Dancin' in the Streets", Martha Reeves and the Vandellas or a distant second, Mick Jagger and David Bowie? Dance on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. shut up and dance is one of my favourites right now. it's impossible not to dance to it. we don't have a lot of dance parties in my house, but i certainly have a lot of solo ones. i don't really stay back after work as most people leave a lot later than me, but i often get to work an hour or so earlier than most, so i absolutely blast the music and dance while filing. that's always awkward when someone walks in. happy friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my fav time is early in the morning! like you, it's so nice to sit down and be able to get stuff done without f*ckwits demanding stupidness from you.

    ReplyDelete