Monday, December 14, 2015

Out of the Fog

When we were kids, my sisters and I were fairly sure that we would make it to the Olympics in the trampoline competition. Now I couldn't land a flip on my feet, but my specialty was "butt sits," (basically sit, jump, sit, jump, and so on) where one time I tried to get people to believe I had done 1000 in a row. That is another thing about me as a kid- you shouldn't have played games with me. I don't think I played a single non-cheating game of marco polo as a kid in my life. 

But back to the trampoline Olympics, it was all going well until we realized that the Olympics were not for choreographed dance and lip sync routines. HOLD BACK YOUR SHOCK, I KNOW! The mere mention of a contest that was NOT adjudicated it terms of costumes and lip sync coordination being in the world's most competitive event is disappointing. That disappointment ended our Olympic hopes. You see for us the trampoline was basically a cabaret stage for lip syncing and choreographed dancing magic.

Our favorite song?


I Can See Clearly Now The Rain Is Gone by Johnny Nash

Because the 1970s remixed for the Cool Runnings movie SCREAMS a song that should be trampoline danced too by 8 year olds. Don't believe me? Try it for yourself. To this day, it may be the greatest disappointment of my life that I was not able to bring this artistic masterpiece of expression to the world's stage.

(Moment of silence)

Anyways, all that is to say, I think I made it through the fog of illness. The pile of tissues on the bed side table is much less Everest-like, the fever is gone, and I even wore pants with a zipper and button one time this weekend. I'm close to being a human again.

I do think (okay, well maybe my parents force fed me this idea until I believed it) that I got sick from going 1000 miles an hour for too long. From work to play to blogging to travelling and the thousand things in between (other than laundry- lets face it, that will never get done), I just couldn't keep up to my internal expectations and was literally making me sick. Albeit humbling to get a taste of your own 'you can't do it all' advice, I had to take a hearty helping of that medicine (and tamiflu). I think the part that stung the most was it didn't even feel like I was coming close to doing it all! It felt like I was failing at everything because I was spread too thin. So now is the time where I am going to try to slow down for a while. Instead of the camping trip we had scheduled this weekend, I stayed at home and watched hours of Downton Abbey on my computer. And it was great. I definitely got some time to think about what areas I can pull back in and maybe how I can lean in a bit more to the things that are important to me and that make me 'me'. 

So hopefully you will see a lot more of those passions around here, a little less chaos, and no more stories of sick days. In the meantime, I leave you with this message forwarded to me from my ridiculous husband from no other than 'All I Do Is Win's' DJ Khaled....


"Put some money in your savings account... buy your momma a house. Buy your whole family a house"

-S


3 comments:

  1. Sometimes being sick with a cold is a blessing in disguise because it just FORCES you to chill! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're feeling better! Yes, I totally loved that song when I was younger. It always put me in a great mood! And I definitely share your passion for Downton Abbey. I'm way behind but it's a great show!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm waiting for my diagnosis of "you're doing too much you need to slow down!" over here. Bet it hits just in time for Christmas ;) Glad you're feeling better though!

    ReplyDelete