Tuesday, December 1, 2015

December = Yoga


Happy December Y'all!

Going out on a limb here today because I want to share something that I'm not quite sure I will be able to follow through with- BUT maybe this will give me a tad more motivation to finish. So a lot of pressure for your internet- you need to be stronger than the magnetic connection between my couch and sweatpants.

 I've been talking a bit recently in circles about what is next for me in terms of training. I'm set for a January half marathon, but after a dozen or so of these races (while I still get excited and love the distance) it isn't something new or an incredible challenge anymore. I say this in a way that negates 0 part of the fact that sometimes it is about the hardest thing for me to lace up those sneaks and spend 2 hours trudging along, but at the end of the day I know that I can do that- or atleast that I have done it before. I like it. I love it. I have some challenging time goals in mind. I know I want to keep racing the half marathon distance, but I want to continue to expand my mental limits.

I also feel like one piece of my normal exercise routine isn't back in place yet. In California, we had the best yoga teacher named John. He was challenging, calming, down to earth, and accepting of where you were each class. You know the yoga teacher is good when your husband even thinks it is a kick butt class which coincides with one of his favorite TV shows. He was a runner (yay- ironman, in fact) and could help you reach stretch goals while at the same time feeling very comfortable with where your body was each class. I know this sounds like crazy California, fish taco eating, 3 hour per day exercising, kale juicing mumbo jumbo, but those yoga classes with John were some of the most calming hours of my week. Since my last year in college, I've been a big yoga fan and it is something that I miss here.

All this rambling adds up to my mission for December to do a month of yoga. With the holidays, the end of fiscal year work stressors, and just general life things I'm making the commitment for 30 days of yoga in December. My best friend and I picked an online free program and everyday for the next month we will be (from across the country) making our way to the mat to do an at home workout. Recently, I've been doing a lot of self made yoga flows, but I'm excited to have something a bit more structured with some new poses. This is of course in addition to the regularly scheduled running and weight training, but my hope is that it brings back a tad bit of the calm back to my crazy.

So wish me luck! I'll be back with updates (hopefully)!
-S


6 comments:

  1. I like your plan girl!! I think you can totally do it! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got this lady, I believe in you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! It sucks to leave a yoga teacher and class that you really like, but hopefully having someone to do the challenge with will be motivating for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got this!!! I haven't done yoga (or worked out...) in months now so I really need to get back into it too! So I'm right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job, Shay! I did some yoga with at-home videos and loved it! Definitely much harder than it looks lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go get 'em!! Would you believe I have never even tried yoga?! Gasp! I should, for sure.

    ReplyDelete