Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Twas the eve of the eve of the eve of Thanksgiving



Twas the night before the night before the night of Thanksgiving, when all through the store
All the amateur chefs were cursing the shopping they abhor. 
The aisles were full while the shelves and produce lay mismatched, 
A cry rung out when all the frozen turkeys had been snatched.

The invited guests to dinner are snug in the beds,
While dreams of throwing footballs and wearing stretchy pants dance in their heads.
Andrew wheeled the grocery cart and I elbowed around with my list,
We'd foolishly dawdled in shopping and now we were... pissed.

When another cashier line opened there arose such a clatter,
I sprinted down the aisle to get one more thing for batter.
Away to the cranberries Andrew flew like a flash,
he threw the bag in and began to look at our stash.

The items slowly adding up in our cart
gave us hope that the shopping and us would soon part.
When, what to our wondering eyes should appear,
but the realization that we hadn't meal planned for the days so near!

Now, apples!  Now, pizza! Now mac and all the cheese!
With broccoli! And fish tacos! And something frozen and Chinese!
To the top of the cart! To the front of the line!
Now dash away! Now hurry! Now to the exit sign!

We sprang to our Honda sleigh, loaded the bags with a sigh,
And drove away into the now dark sky.
But I exclaimed as we drove out of sight,
"Don't grocery shop three eves to Thanksgiving night!"

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - I'm going to pick up stuff after work tonight :/ xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha!! Love this, so true. I'm heading to the store today - eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha so cute! I have to run out to the store tonight to get some last minute things... I'm scared... LOL! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is too cute! I thought I got everything I needed over the weekend, but alas I have a few random items to pick up tonight or tomorrow :-P

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a gift of humor, Shay!! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is purely brilliant!!! I loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, love this! What a cute poem. I'm thankful I don't have to do the shopping for Thanksgiving. I bring a dish but man, I would be so stressed if I had to plan and cook a large meal.

    ReplyDelete