Monday, November 30, 2015

Turkey Trot Race Recap


Happy Belated Turkey Day my peoples! Hope that you had a day full of giving thanks, a lil extra turkey in your belly than was comfortable, and time with those that mean the most to you. In our house we had all that and more. More than just a lil extra turkey in our bellies. A house more than full of people. And a 10k turkey trot to boot. 

Our morning started off a little too early for a night spent (literally) watching bread rise, but once we got moving it seems like the day didn't stop. Our 3rd running partner had to back out of the race last minute, so we each grabbed an apple and went on our way. The problem was... the way wasn't exactly clear. Between our later than expected departure time and the huge number of participants it was mildly stressful getting to one of the open parking lots, but honestly that was the only negative of the whole race day experience. And if we are being honest here, we should have left 10 minutes earlier anyways. Rookie turkey trotter mistake...

Once we parked, we made our way to the starting line just in time to see the wheelchair start and get in line with our pace group. I mentioned it before, but I was a little nervous to race a 10k. With a 5k, my game plan is to go all out from the beginning and use the mantra that you can do anything for only 3 miles. With a half marathon (my preferred distance), I normally have set paces or a race plan to get me through. With a full marathon, I just try to survive. Like true professionals, Andrew and I decided to first broach the what is our game plan topic in the car in traffic on the way to the race. Ooops. Our plan pretty much consisted of finishing, possibly running together, and getting back to our car in time for turkey as quickly as possible.

Before we knew it, the race was starting and we were off! The first mile had great fans and just flew by! Miles 2 and 3 we held an easy pace and they luckily offered a lot of water stations (which was awesome because it was definitely a balmy almost 80 that AM). The first 5k we paced steady at an 8:40 per mile that felt comfortable and definitely sustainable- which was better than I expected. Around 3.5 the turnaround point of the race happened that also coincided with a pretty strong head wind for the rest of the course. I hadn't really paid much attention to the course during the first half and forgot to bring my garmen, so I was heavily relying on the race signs to get my bearings on the distance. Some of them fell in the winds, making it an even bigger surprise when I would come to the next mile marker! Probably my favorite part of the race was seeing multiple people run across the 4 lanes of racer traffic to hit up one of the hottest pie restaurants in Houston at 8am. My endorphins got the best of me and with one poor woman I jokingly tried to snag her pie... only one of us was amused. With the second half our pace dawdled a bit with the headwind, my shenanigans, and some tired legs, but we were both still pleased with clocking in a final race pace of 9:05.


Overall it was a great race and very well organized! I had never actually done a turkey trot before, so I loved adding that to a day full of eating, eating, and more eating. I really enjoyed racing this distance. I thought it was much more mentally challenging than a 5k and I love the physicality of 6 miles that doesn't kill you at the same time. I will be thankful to add more 10ks to my race schedule this next year.

Hope that you are recovering from a turkey coma,
-S 

8 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed! Winds like that give me pretty bad headaches but I'm really impressed that you stick with it! Definitely sounds like you earned your turkey dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a great experience with the race - and even better than you could indulge in the turkey after the fact! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a great race experience, Turkey Trots are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!!! Turkey trots are such an amazing tradition - we did one, too! I would've been more nervous for a 10k though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an impressive time! I pat myself on the back when I can keep that pace with a 5k ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay how fun! i really want to do a turkey trot next year. 10ks are my favourite distance i think :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so cool! I wish I could run still, but I can't thanks to my stupid knees, so I live vicariously through you and others who get to enjoy this sport. Glad you had a great turkey day. Thanks so much for stopping by AND saying hello. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so cool! I wish I could run still, but I can't thanks to my stupid knees, so I live vicariously through you and others who get to enjoy this sport. Glad you had a great turkey day. Thanks so much for stopping by AND saying hello. :)

    ReplyDelete