Monday, November 2, 2015

The Next One



Normally after finishing a training cycle, I need a break from the long hours of solo miles. I like to spend time in group classes or working on other fitness goals (planks will be the death of me) while I wait for that nagging urge to start training for the next one. I make it a habit to plan what my next race is before I finish the training cycle (which I did), but I don't try to jump from one training to the next one. I need some time to be. My feet need a pedicure. My training routes have grown monotonous. My motivation has wandered to spin class or a push up challenge or donuts. Most likely donuts.

Not quite the case this time. As you may remember, last weekend's half marathon got cancelled due to inclement weather and it was a great call on Houston Half Marathon's part. They caught some (unnecessary, in my opinion) flack, but I definitely want to publicly commend them for making a decision that absolutely no one wanted to make. I'm counting down the days till next year's race for the Karbach beer and tacos at the finish line. That being said, I didn't quite get that release of energy, enthusiasm, and chock blocks while crossing the finish line. I had a wonderful, albeit flooded, day of drinking mimosas, visiting ikea, and not getting poured on for a couple hours while trying to stay vertical. But I feel not quite ready for the break in training.

Now- I'm also not racing out to run a solo baker's dozen anytime soon, so don't think I'm as dedicated as I want to be. But it does mean that I'm still itching for the finish line and I think I've got just the race to solve that. It is soon. It is local. And the distance is manageable without being boring. Andrew and I are all signed up for a local 10k Turkey Trot and I'm so excited. I've never raced a 10k before, so that will be a new challenge. I'm also looking forward to being able to balance training with cross training and life.

So while it is an anticlimactic 'onto the next one,' that is exactly what it is. I've been working on manageable paces and distances this past week including a memorable, slippery, and downright funny/scary run in the rain before Mass on Sunday. I do think that this is a good way to manage the 13 pounds of mashed potatoes I plan on eating on Thanksgiving; it'll make a dent in the ghastly amount of carbs... I hope.

Any ways you plan on staying active this November?
-S


7 comments:

  1. Good for you for staying with it! Now you will do so well at the 10k!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can do the 10k! it will be awesome. the only long distance race i've done is tough mudder and i was so nervous but i trained hard and destroyed it.

    every month is the same for me - 6 days of muay thai - although i think i'll be re-introducing weights again for structural balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to do a race on Thanksgiving - I feel like it gives me a good excuse to eat haha!! You are going to rock it! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10Ks are my favorite and so is running on Thanksgiving day! This will be my third year in a row of racing before eating Turkey - you will love it. There's something about the daylight savings time that gets me in the mood to work out. I have 5 races planned between 11/24 and 12/12 (4 5Ks and a half marathon) so this should get entertaining :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally get this! I really don't know what I would have done if I had been in your shoes and a had a goal race canceled. But having a 10k to look forward is awesome, especially since you haven't raced one before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're going to kill the 10k race!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yayyyy this is so fabulous. i love to look forward to races, but i also like that time in between. i have never done a turkey trot, i would love to - especially because of all the food i eat that day.

    ReplyDelete