Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Runners High




All I can say is finally. And grateful. And advil. Oh, and finally one more time.

This weekend's long run was set up for perfection. The weather was crisp. I ate well and went to bed early in anticipation. I had convinced myself that it needed to be a good one. I needed a good run in to build my confidence and cut the crazy making that a couple back-to-back not so hot long runs made me feel. I needed this run to make up for the others. That is a lot of needy-ness right there...

So it happened. The stars aligned and the running mental fog I had been in lifted just in time to make for a perfect Sunday jaunt. 

I had runners high, true runners high, for the first time in months. Not the feel good endorphins that come after a workout, but the bliss that happens during the middle of a long run to mask tired legs even through the discomfort of distance. For me it was a blissful 1.6 miles starting around 7.5 into my run that made my running heart smile. 

For me the first sign runners high is coming is when I get goosebumps all over my arms... weird, I know. My pace quickens and I do a lot of talking to myself or any other unlucky person in my path. I high five often (so awkward) and bust out some drummer moves to whatever song is playing (even more embarrassing). I feel like I can go on forever and finally have clarity on whatever I decided to spend the last 2 hours of my life mulling over.My legs move themselves and I just get to enjoy the ride. 

 It was great to see my pace quicken (for part of this I was running 7:50, which for me is too fast for a long distance run). I felt great. It was exactly what I needed. That and the inordinate amount of donut holes that I ate after I finished. At the end of the run, I was happy, content, and full of refined sugar. The epitome of health.

Here we are a week and a half from my next half marathon. I understand and have accepted that this will not be a PR breaker for me, but that is okay. I will break that PR someday soon and it will feel great. But PRs are not why I run... if so I would have quit a loooooong time ago. My half marathon PR happened when I never expected it. I wasn't mentally prepared and set off way too fast, but somehow all the running logic didn't work and I PRed. I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks determining what I want my goal to be for this race. I don't think it will be tied to time, but who knows! 

All I can hope for (and will hope for) is that when race day comes that I will feel as positive about that run as I did after this one. 

Thanks for all your encouragement through the bad runs around here lately. This one made up for it a million times over.

-S


11 comments:

  1. SO awesome that you had a great run - that really is one of the best feelings! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for a great run! Don't you love when the stars align for that to happen? Hope you're tapering down a bit and resting up your legs for your half!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome you had a great run! I don't run but this post kind of makes me want to start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! I wish I could run but my knee just won't tolerate it!

    xx
    Lauren Elizabeth
    Petite in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  5. yayyy for a great run! on sunday, my friend and i ran 9 miles. two weeks ago we ran 7 miles and it was horrible, so we were both dreading this run and hoping it wouldn't be awful.. and it was great. 8 miles in and it felt better than 2 miles the previous time. i don't know if i've ever experienced legit runners high, but i felt pretty darn good during that run lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah this is the BEST! So happy for you! Apparently it was a good weekend for running because I had that same feeling on my long run this weekend (bah it feels weird to call it that because it was only 7 miles but that's because it was my last one before my big race)! I seriously thought my heart might explode from being so full and happy. Those good feelings have been hard to come by lately so you better believed I savored every second.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy for you!!!! I have been feeling pretty good about my runs as well. Maybe it is because the excitement of fall is in the air, instead of the pounding sun and humidity. You will have a great race
    bakingrunner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you could be a salesperson for running, your commission would be through the roof!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY! *throws confetti and blows horns* Congratulations! I knew you could do it! Now I wish I could actually run (bad knee) so that I could understand that high!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! I am just getting back into running from moving and everything. Feels so good to start again. But so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so nice that you had a great run! I need to do some running too♥♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete