Monday, October 5, 2015

Mattress Madness



So yeah, adult things are going on here. Instead of being the rowdy kids on the block, we spent our weekend pretending to be adults. I have one thing to tell you weekend... I want my fun weekend back. I want to watch some netflix, go for a couple  runs, and get an IV of chips/salsa/margaritas. I don't want to spend it price comparing mattresses, fitting queen size headboards into tiny cars, and rearranging life to be home for delivery. And on top of all that, I had to squeeze in a work event and care of an sick husband.

Monday- you are here to soon, friend.

The good news is we are one step closer to getting that bedroom habitable. Bad news for my sister who is crashing with us for a couple days, the room is currently not very habitable. Oooops. Sorry sis. 

I will say that we had a pretty great plan for mattress shopping. We collected mattress ads for the last few weeks and weren't super concerned about finding a premium grade mattress. By the way, do you know that they sell mattresses at just a regular ole mattress store for $15,000! Yeah, not kidding. I'm sure that mattress is awesome, but excuse me mortgage and 401k... I can't pay you because I'm never leaving my bed. Spoiler alert, we didn't buy that one.

We stuck to our budget and promised ourselves that we will invest in a good mattress topper. Honestly it isn't like a ton of people are even going to sleep on this. So we called around and made sure that the local stores had it in stock. Pro tip- basically none of them did. Great way for them to upsell, but we were bound and determined to stay in our price point and chose the store that could get it to us in a couple days for the best price. We did get to lay on another size of the same type of mattress (which is very awkward by the way) and I'm pretty sure if you stay at our house, eat my (semi) burnt food, and deal with the puppy trying to steal your socks that the mattress will not be the buzz kill of your stay.

Now the fun part can start with finding new pieces and refurbishing old pieces, here is what

My childhood bed similar (but older) to the Quincy Ethan Allen bed.
 

Classical Yellow from Sherwin Williams (yep, definitely the extra from the kitchen) on the walls.


Annnnnd... Okay well those are all the decisions we have come to so far. We still would like  to get some art for the walls, lighting for the space, knick knacks to make it homey, and (desperately) need to clear out the closet so people could actually use it. 

Any go to places for affordable homegoods? My go tos are World Market, Overtock, Target, and Homegoods, but I would LOVE suggestions!

-S


9 comments:

  1. Is it weird that I actually want to buy a new mattress - we've been putting it off because ya they are pretty expensive!! I'm slightly jealous you have a new one!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. mattresses are HELLA expensive. whoda thought, right? thankfully i have a friend who works for the Sheraton head office and gets their amazingly comfy pillowtop mattresses for a fraction of the price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot get over how expensive mattresses are. I totally need a new one but keep putting it off. I love Home Goods for things, they have great stuff and great prices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for a new mattress! Even though they are ridiculously expensive. Can't wait to see how the room comes together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um yes to an IV of chips, salsa and margaritas! That sounds amazing :) Jealous you got a new mattress, it's always so nice going to sleep on a new, perfect mattress! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had so many chips and queso this weekend that my tongue is burnt. I do not have any suggestions for furniture. Who would buy a $15,000 mattress? That is insane. have a great day
    bakingrunner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got all the good inexpensive décor places down. Also, mattress shopping is awkward. You lay down weirdly on a million mattresses that a thousand other people have done the same thing on and then they all blend together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretending to be adults can sometimes be too hard…am definitely up for the chips, margaritas and a good movie. I decided to do my mattress shopping last week after putting it off for so long. It was hectic and time-consuming. My husband and I would disagree on almost everything, including the size. I preferred a queen size and a more comfortable one, but he would always consider the price...$15,000 for a mattress is insane!

    Dante Storey @ Healthy Bed Store

    ReplyDelete