Friday, October 2, 2015

5 for Friday- House Projects for October

Wow! Thanks everyone for your comments on our DIY Board and Batten post! It was a beast of a project (in terms of duration), but every time I see it now (or eat without having to watch myself in floor to ceiling mirrors) I smile a little. In the vein of masochism home projects, I thought I would share 5 of the house projects (big and small) that are next on our list.

Now this is a disclaimer to the public and a promise to my sanity, as much as I love getting things done, I think we would simply collapse if we kept going on the home project roller coaster at the same pace. That and I would like to stop spending all the dollars at Home Depot. I think if we spend more time there (and wear more appropriate footwear)  people are going to start thinking that we work there. Meanwhile, I still am half convinced that all employees there have the secrets to the universe with their general home upkeep knowledge.

So here is what is 'next' on the home improvement docket:

Front Door Re-Do

front door complete with new glass panels
 We have big plans to spruce up our front door. Not only are we going to paint it a fun color and add some tile work, but I'm really excited that we are adding a keyless entry lock. Have you looked into these things? They are so cool (and safe)! Ours will have keyless and keyed entry (ya know, because I can break anything and everything) and I think all these door improvements will really make the front pop!

Second Bedroom Face-lift

Our second bedroom is more like a room full of boxes that we shove an air mattress in anytime my sister spends the night. In case you had any doubts, we are REALLY good hosts. Now that the rest of the house is not in shambles (or most of it isn't), we want to make this a space people would want to spend the night in willingly. We just put some Classical Yellow on the wall and are adding in a bed this weekend. Now our goal is to find some affordable artwork and knick knacks to make the space cozy.

New Stairway Light Fixture


Did I tell you about the incredible deal we got on one of our downstairs light fixtures? 10 dollars! The second we saw the price tag we swiped it up. That fixture was on clearance, clearance, clearance at Home Depot and although I hadn't really thought about what I wanted in that space, I knew that I wanted it with that price tag. Don't get me wrong I have spent hours looking at light fixtures and love our living and dining room fixtures, but for a space that didn't need a statement piece I was good to go (aka literally grabbed it like I store it) with something affordable. I have pretty similar feelings with the stairwell light fixture. The current one has to go, but whatever the replacement is needs to do its job, look less like 1972, and be budget friendly.

Bathroom Cabinet Painting



I promise I will post a full kitchen cabinet painting recap soon, but not until I torture myself a little more and repaint one of the bathroom's cabinets. It isn't hard, it is just so time consuming. There is sanding and priming and painting and all of that 4 more times. I just keep telling myself that there are a whole heck of a lot fewer cabinets in a bathroom than a kitchen. 

Patio Landscaping



I guess maybe NOT landscaping would be the better caption. Remember when the pup went hogwild and played gardener for a day? Well he did that about 7 times (not exaggerating) and we have exactly 2 plants still in the ground out back. I guess he is worried about our water bill... or is just intentionally trying to make me vacuum more. So to liven the space up a bit, Andrew and I are looking for some planter boxes or brick liners to keep the dog on one side and the plants firmly in the ground.

What about you? Any home projects that you are itching to cross off your list?
-S


8 comments:

  1. Cant wait to see what color you guys go with for the front door!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a sweet deal. sometimes you just need to grab things because of such a fantastic price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm looking forward to seeing your front door. My old house had a key less entry and it was awesome. I miss it. haha. I hate carrying keys around, I'm always misplacing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to your reno's. I am just wondering why you have a bottle of wine that looks full? Who does that? Tip it up girl. Just kidding. have a great weekend.
    bakingrunner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, you impress me so much! Five house projects for October?! Wow. I can't wait to see how your front door looks-I love front doors with fun colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always in awe of your home improvement projects. Honestly, all I really want to do is just get more furniture and make this little place I live in with my roommate more homey. So that's pretty much my plan for house projects :) Maybe a few decoration diy projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a keyless lock too (that has a key option as well) and love it! It's amazing to not have to carry keys around all the time. Good luck with your list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOLOLOL The things our pets get away with! :)

    ReplyDelete