Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Recap of No Waste August


In case you missed it, this August Andrew and I took on the challenge to do a no food waste month.We started the month with this odd idea to waste nothing, eat a little less nomadic/ a little more healthy, and just for our own competitive spirit. Halfway through the project I wrote a little update and was generally surprised how few changes we actually needed to make. Like I said we are big into meal planning and budgeting, so there wasn't much food left to waste to start with. By pushing it to the limit it was a fun mini-experiment.

WHAT was surprising, however, was how much food we actually saved. By being extra cautious about allotting leftovers, we freezed a lot more! Doing so has been phenomenal for my grocery bill because one of the easiest things to freeze is meat. We don't eat a lot of meat in our house, so buying something while it is on sale can go a long while in our house. The project also saved us $s from eating (what felt like at times) endless leftovers. I thought we ate all our leftovers before, but this month they just seemed to stretch and stretch. Same thing with restaurant meals! Everyone knows portions are so huge that you could fit 2+ meals out of most things, but that self control can be hard!

We didn't score 100% on No Waste August, however. Whether it got pushed to the way back of the fridge (sorry half of a baked sweet potato), went bad (looking at you avocado, 1/2 broccoli crown, and personal sized watermelon), or something weird happened (chemical reaction in my greek yogurt- no thanks), some food was not consumed. I still feel really good about the mini-experiment and honestly was impressed by our results. It really wasn't hard, but I feel like it made us much more conscious of what we had and what we needed. AND saving a couple of $s was great since we are in the middle of home project after home project.

What was the worst part? Meh. Not too much. I did forget to 'pin' one of the planned recipes, so I had to improvise with a bunch of weird ingredients. Not exactly the tastiest meal, but it got the job done!
 
How conscious of you of whatever is in your fridge? Do you like to meal plan?
-S

11 comments:

  1. Commendable effort especially in the summer when it's too hot to think about cooking. With cooler weather in a few weeks, a lot more can be done with those leftovers. That's the purpose of crock pots and soup pots. Hurricanes have taught us the need to clean out our freezer frequently. It's amazing what gets shuffled to the back. Yes, it's leftover turkey and stuffing but from what holiday and from what year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Commendable effort especially in the summer when it's too hot to think about cooking. With cooler weather in a few weeks, a lot more can be done with those leftovers. That's the purpose of crock pots and soup pots. Hurricanes have taught us the need to clean out our freezer frequently. It's amazing what gets shuffled to the back. Yes, it's leftover turkey and stuffing but from what holiday and from what year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job! i am so bad with buying ingredients and forgetting them (avocados especially) but my husband is bad with making meals and forgetting the leftovers, so we both need to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not so sure that I would be good at this challenge! With the travelin' lifestyle and the complete ability to make last minute plans after work, I'm not the best at no food waste. It would definitely be a big challenge for me to try to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to be better at not wasting as much food (and trying not to buy so much in the first place) but I haven't been that successful. Something I need to work on! what a great challenge/reason to give a try!
    Trish - tales from trish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job! I'd love to try out this challenge, as I hate it when food gets wasted and I'm all for a lower grocery bill! And I hear ya on the avocados going bad, it's like one minute they're not ripe enough then next thing you know they're rotting :-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job with your no waste August! We are huge into meal planning and honestly rarely have leftovers because Gary will eat everything lol!! But I love being able to save some money on my grocery bill! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would say you were successful! I am so bad about wasting food. I need to get better about that. I love meal planning and trying new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations for getting through the whole month! Are you planning on continuing? Also, I am always looking for freezer cooking tips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woo hoo!! You did amazing! I love the idea of this challenge! I go crazy over wasting good food but my husband has no problem going through the fridge and throwing perfectly good food away! Or he'll just clear Mia's plate into the trash instead of saving it in a tupperware for her to eat for lunch another day. I mean, it literally makes me want to shake him, ha ha! I'm going to see if he'd be up for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is so fantastic! I love this challenge. I hate wasting food but my roommates don't seem to care. Drives me batty.

    ReplyDelete