Monday, September 21, 2015

Monday Runday- Disappointment

Remember when I talked about the long run last week? Or maybe when I bit.. I mean discussed the plague I was struggling to surviveI promise there is a point beyond petty self promotion. 

running animated GIF
Via

In the throes of my illness induced google searching, I found out something pretty disappointing. 

The January marathon I planned on running is full.

Full. Like I can't do it.

Like I've been to the registration page no doubt 5+ times and just hadn't bit the bullet on putting my credit card information in to commit in stone.

And now it is too late. 

So I'm honestly pretty bummed. I should have registered for it months ago. I've already been putting the miles in and mentally prepping for it. I've already been talking about doing it to family, friends, and ya know... the internet. I really was ready to get that second marathon under my belt and now I can't do it. Not because of injury, but because I didn't register. Pretty much all my fault. So that kinda stinks.

I don't know what I should do. Maybe I'll sign up for another (much smaller) race a couple weeks later. Or maybe I'll do a larger (hillier race) in February. I'm not quite sure. I know that I want to do another full marathon and have been working really hard to start building back up that level of endurance fitness. I want to feel really excited about the race itself if I'm going to be training hours on end, so I need to find something that I actually WANT to run.

And then there is the whole upcoming October half that is causing some more frustration.  My legs are 100% shot from 9 miles this weekend and I feel like I can't move/ have no will to survive. The first 5 flew by and the last 4 my feet were basically stuck in the mud. My paces were way off what I expected them to be, so overall it has been a disappointing training week.

And I stupidly did a bunch of squats the day before my long run... so that was kinda the worst thing also.

Okay that was a lot of complaining, but cheers to hoping this week training goes better and when crushing out those miles, I get some clarity about the full. Happy Monday!
-S

16 comments:

  1. I think you felt weak after your run because your body was still recovering - you'll be back to your running pace before you know it! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the same love/hate relationship with running right now too. I need to get back into it regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! That's no fun about your marathon being full... reminds me that I should probably actually sign up for my half marathon in December. And you know, stop putting off my long runs. Hope you have some better running this week and find a great marathon for you to run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a bummer that you can't do the full that you wanted :( I think you should do the smaller one a few weeks later, because hills are the devil and 26.2 miles of them would be hellish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, that is no fun. I'm sure you will find another marathon to run. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sorry the race was full, I've had races fill up on me and it is really disappointing. I hope you can find another race to take it's place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, bummer! Are there other races you could do in th same time frame?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like your body is still recovering and not back to full strength, but what a bummer! Cheers to the next one which I'm sure you'll rock ;-)

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  9. You need to register for a race any race, it will give you a written in stone goal. That way you already know what to train for. We all have bad days. You will do fine because you are a fighter!!!!! Hope you feel better
    bakingrunner.blospot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a bummer the race is full! Are there any others you can do instead?

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, poop... that sucks. i'd sign up for a smaller one to keep up with the training and then go for a bigger one once they release new dates.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no that sucks! I'm sorry to hear that. Is there any other marathons nearby? I'd do smaller races so you don't lose your momentum! Trish - tales from trish

    ReplyDelete
  13. Noooo! Oh that's devastating, I'm so sorry! I get so nervous to sign up for races that I out it off and I'm always worried they'll sell out before I do. You're right though, if you're going to train for something like that it should be a race you're really excited about. I hope you can find a replacement that motivates you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a bummer!!! I'm sorry! :/ I say you do the one that's in February. Keep yourself going!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that stinks! Are there any in neighbouring cities you can sign up for? Good luck with the miles this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ugh i am so sorry that your race is full! i have had that happen before and it is such a helpless feeling :( i hope you can find a replacement that you really want to do! squats before long run day - ouch!

    ReplyDelete