Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Dreaming Far Away

Taken in Switzerland back in '09

Well we are 4 months from our last big vacation and the traveling bug has caught me again. Over the past few days of picking up puppy poop and stepping over/ignoring the moving boxes to get to the couch (its a never ending nightmare- but not nearly as bad as when we didn't have our stuff for 3 months) my mind is wandering to where our next wandering adventure should be. In large part this is due to my best friend coming back from a month long European sabbatical... is it wrong to curse your friends?

Andrew and I both really enjoy traveling and we definitely cut back on day-to-day expenses so that we can enjoy visiting places. It is rewarding and we are very grateful to have the opportunity to save up and enjoy traveling without feeling irresponsible. That being said, the first 2 months of home ownership have been expensive... so you won't be seeing me jet set across the globe anytime too soon. BUT we just had an awesome weekend in beautiful Colorado and are headed up to the Midwest in a few short weeks for the glorious beginning of college football.

Being a planner by nature, I love to dig into researching places that we are interested in going. Reading books, stalking photos, looking at TripAdvisor reviews all of these are a fun part of planning a trip for me. And I like to do all the prep work before we go so that we have all of our options available. I do not plan every minute of the trip (because... its a vacation), but I like to know what is available and do what we feel like doing. It also helps that Andrew is super spontaneous, so even if I wanted to plan every minute that wouldn't work out too well.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for a 2016 adventure, but in the meantime I will be busy doing all the oohing-and-aawing online. The top two contenders at the moment are Thailand and Greece. Neither of us have ever been to Asia and Greece has been high on the top of the bucket list for a long time. It is a good thing that we have a lot of time between now and anticipated take off because... gotta build up that PTO :)

Thailand: 


If we are lucky enough to spend some time in Thailand, these are at the top of the must do list.

Wat Pho

Wat Pho - Bangkok http://www.classified-thailand.com/

Coordinate our Schedule w/ Loy Krathong/Yi Peng

Yi Peng: The festival of lights in Chiang Mai - Thailand travel tips!

Visit Phuket Old Town

What to Do in Phuket Town - #Phuket, #Thailand

Camp on one of the Beautiful Islands

Maya Bay Beach, Thailand. Stay overnight camping and have the beach to yourself in the morning. http://www.mayabaytours.com/#!sleep-aboard/ckqh

Be a Beach Bum

Koh Tao Beach Sunset, Thailand

And possibly, probably, most definitely visit an elephant sanctuary!

Elephant Nature Park, Chiang Mai, by Jeff Gear. The Elephant Nature Park is a rescue center for domesticated elephants near Chiang Mai in northern Thailand. Every day the elephants march down to the river to have a bath and be washed by tourists and volunteers.



Greece:


Visiting Ruins in Athens

Rich in ruins, the oldest city in Europe is also home to some of the best art, culture and amazing vistas.

Bring Out My Theatre Geek and Visit One of the Ancient Theatres
The Odeon of Herodes Atticus is a stone theatre structure located on the southwest slope of the Acropolis of Athens.It was built in 161 AD by the Athenian magnate Herodes Atticus in memory of his w...
Via

Santorini

Sunset cafe in Oia, Santorini #traveltuesday http://www.yourcruisesource.com/two_chefs_culinary_cruise_-_istanbul_to_athens_greek_isles_cruise.htm
Via

Swim Through Greecian Caves
Melissani Cave, Kefalonia, Greece!
Via

Island Hop
Navagio Beach, Zakynthos - Top Ten Paradise Beaches in Greece #beach. Haven't been here yet, but its going to happen! Ready Sky?!
Via

What would you choose? Also send cash donations or let me know where I can sell my organs on the black market. Thanks!

-S

3 comments:

  1. Oh gosh all those places please!!! I'd love to go to Lisbon and then my husband really wants to go to Ireland - so we're hoping for 2016 :) xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh Greece and Thailand are both very high up on my list! If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with Thailand right now since it's soooo cheap over there (and I can see that changing as it gets more and more popular of a destination), and Greece is having a financial crisis currently. But both are such gorgeous spots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to visit Greece but I think you just convinced me that I need to go to Thailand! Tough choice!

    ReplyDelete