Friday, July 31, 2015

Running for the Weekend

Happy weekend y'all! I feel a step ahead of the game (for once) seeing as how early this morning I'll be popping on a plane and headed up to Colorado for a quick weekend with the cutest baby ever. A weekend of river rafting, brewery tasting, and shenanigans seems quite the way to celebrate a successful move in. 

But a long weekend away means that I had to fit my long run in during the week of 95+ degree temperatures. As much as I was dreading the dehydration I was also secretly looking forward to getting back/staying in the training routine. I have a new long running partner (although I try to bribe Andrew into as many runs as possible) and with a whopping 2 long runs under our belt it feels so nice to have a run buddy again. Chit chatting, gossiping, and gasping for air takes up most of the time. Although my normal go-to techniques to avoid boredom are podcasts, humans are so much better. I know- these are whopping revelations. 


My photography while running could really use some improvement...

On last night's long run, I was pretty concerned about the heat. Because life is complicated and schedules are a beast, our run happened to fall when the LITERAL TEMPERATURE
WAS 100. That's hot! That is also the understatement for the year. To beat the heat I focused on chugging water though out the day, wore a really cool mans hat (yeah, unpacking is not a secret talent of mine), and keeping the pace slow. Actually, I only accomplished 1 of those. I forgot my man's hat and gps in the car, so it was sunny and we started out way too fast. I knew it wasn't worth risking injury to make my feel a smidgen better about my pace, so for the second half we slowed way down. 

I then treated myself to an evening of foam rolling and puppy cuddling. And I thought it wasn't exactly fair to show only the spaces of our house that were mostly unpacked so here is a gem of what our bedroom looks like...


Cause everyone wants their tv in the middle of the room with about 30 feet of cable occupying the corner space. Whatever. I foam rolled. That is basically the same as eating kale and juicing. 10 points for me.

So as much as I HOPE to sneak in a run this weekend, way higher on my priority list is spoiling a bitty bitty babe. What do you have going on?

-S

3 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed with your 100 degree run AND that you got one in before the weekend! Way to not let travel plans knock your running off schedule. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very hot in California as well but not nearly nearing the 90s. Sometimes we just have to make time for exercise. I know I have trouble getting up off my butt haha :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoyed your time away - way to go on that run - that is way too hot for me! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete