Friday, July 17, 2015

Five for Friday- Demolition Derby

Hooray- it is Friday! What do you have going on this weekend? Anything exciting? Lots of house projects and the first long run of half marathon training are happening over here this weekend. House projects that are NOT being professionally done, because (hip, hip, hooray) the contractor started work on our house this week. I snuck in yesterday after the crew was gone for the day and it looked like this...


Beautiful!



No more popcorn ceilings!



Random holes that look very disturbing!


Alas, it is out of our hands and that feels magical! Within a few days, we will be back living there with shiny new counter tops, non-popcorn ceilings, new outlets, and a host of other things that I didn't trust myself to do without a visit to the emergency room. But heck no, you are not out of the woods yet on house updates. 

We have so, so many projects left. Remember this list? We are plugging away at it. So far we have finished: the ottoman, the ikea hacked butcher block cabinet, and painting the kitchen cabinets. We have added WAY MORE to the list than we have taken off, but that is just the way things go (apparently).

Five for Friday this week is all about the choices that HAVE been made! Instead of boring/ scaring you with inane details about all the variances, quality, and weight of cabinet pulls (because that decision is NOT made), here is a list of things that will definitely be showing up in our house.


1) Master Bedroom Paint


Inspired by this picture of our recent trip to Chile...


We chose Rainwashed by Sherwin Williams. It is beautiful and thankfully we have already painted it. 1 room painted down, a lot left to go.

Here is the Rainwashed in another room... that is beautiful, stylish, and most importantly doesn't consist of an air mattress and TV on the ground.
Sherwin Williams Rain Washed Paint. Love the walls, and the mirror, and the pintucked duvet.. soothing!
Via


2) Living Room Paint


You may remember my gray quandary, well I hope you didn't loose too much sleep over it. WE HAVE A WINNER! Hold your breath for the perfect gray... or just the gray that we finally chose after looking at a million. This color is called March Wind by Sherwin Williams. I don't know how we will reach these tip top corners (thanks, sissy), 



but I can't wait to see it in our main living spaces.
sherwin williams march wind
Via


3) Counter tops


This is a good example of you can't always get what you want. I looooove the look of marble counter tops and even saw some great deals in local stores, but I just don't know if I can take care of them. I have laboriously read over all those in this pinterest-perfect world that CAN take care of them, but I don't think I'm one of those superior human beings. I being the problem here! So we chose a simple granite that is fine. It is in budget, neutral enough, and, like all granite, is very sturdy. Our choice is Santa Cecilia Light with white subway tiles to match our crisp white cabinets. 
santa cecilia light granite countertops contemporary kitchen design white cabinets recessed lights
Via


4) Outdoor Space

I'm thrilled with how the outdoor space is (going) to come. Last weekend, we planted some Monkey Grass and Jasmine in the small dirt sections of the back deck. We wanted something dog friendly that didn't need TOO much light since it isn't the sunniest of places. But what makes my heart happy is restarting our herb garden. Goodness knows I will (as always) kill a ton of these poor guys, but we have basil, oregano, lavender, and rosemary growing currently. I want to build a hanging garden (somewhat like below) to keep the pup out of any harms way. My goal is to have the decorated Terra Cotta pots individually hang down from the covered patio on ropes just at arms reach. 
Vertical clay pot garden. DIY by The Horticult / Ryan Benoit Design
Via

Andrew also surprised me by picking up a bunch of beautiful market lights to hang out there. I think it will be a beautiful addition! And can't wait to make it a lil' more snazzy.


Room Essentials™ 10Lt Filament Bulb
Target Link


5) Reclaimed Wood

So we have grand plans to transition the loft from a random addition to a useful space for both of us to work in. My husband runs a side business and I stalk all of you like it is a job, so it will make a great office space for the two of us. AND it boasts gorgeous big windows with so much natural light. We are pretty jazzed about our latest plan to cover 1 whole wall in white washed reclaimed wood, our brainstorm-ing wall in chalkboard paint, and the rest of the space with some fun color. 


DIY Wood Walls • Tons of Ideas, Projects & Tutorials! See how 'owen's olivia' created this beautiful whitewashed pallet wall for their little boys room.
Via


A long way- no, a VERY long way- is left to go before we get anywhere near to a 'completed' house, but it is so much fun to visualize.

If you could do any house project, what would it be?
-S

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the final results! So exciting. I love Edison lights and have been eyeing some at Lowes for our screened in porch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the inspiration you have for your home - I can't wait to see it come to life! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where in Chile were you? I was there for a week and it was so much fun. I love the inspiration you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that the paint color for your bedroom is inspired by your trip to chile - that's so special! The countertops are such a neutral and versatile color - I love it.

    ReplyDelete