Monday, March 16, 2015

Watery Weekending

Sunday night hit real hard when I looked at my to-do list and realized that Monday WAS in fact mere hours away.

You see the weekend went a lot like this....


Amazing.

For real, y'all. This weekend Andrew and I finally cashed in on his Christmas present (whoops- 3 months past the holiday) and started our scuba certification process. And man, IT WAS HARD. As I write this, we are watching Blacklist on Netflix, eating a frozen pizza (NO JUDGEMENT ZONE) and our minds and bodies are in a melodramatic scuba coma. From Friday night to Sunday evening, our lives were scuba, scuba, scuba. We learned dive tables and regulators. We studied all sorts of terrifying decompression illnesses and surf stories... no lie, at that point I was ready to walk out and start knitting as a hobby instead. We (okay- just me) took over 30 minutes to sausage my way into a NEOPRENE wet suit (tragic) and spent a lot of times looking like a duck walking around in the fins. And it was a blast. Truly. A blast.

On our honeymoon Andrew and I went scuba diving in the DR and I really struggled with equalizing (the process of adjusting your ears to the pressure as you go deeper and deeper down). But Andrew was in his element. He was scuba-ing over there and chasing some fish over here and generally being way adorable. I, on the other hand, had a death grip on the instructor for the whole afternoon- making for a few raised eyebrows on who exactly was honeymooning with who, but alas. Seeing how much Andrew loved it, I was determined to do it again and make scuba something that we could both enjoy together. I'm really grateful for trying round two.

We were lucky enough to train with Sea Stallion Scuba in Lake Forest, CA and they were absolutely fantastic. Very thorough (I actually understood the dive tables) and made me feel really comfortable with the safety skills like flooding your mask and using a back up breathing system. We spent the morning in the classroom sessions and the afternoons in a local pool. SO although pool diving is not the least bit scenic, it was exactly what I needed to feel confident in the skills necessary to scuba safely. We have 4 ocean dives and 1 snorkel outing before we are card carrying SSI members, but at least we got the pool down pat.

So here are some snaps of our weekend. All the pool ones are from our GoPro and I'm really impressed with how they look; check 'em out!

Dive tables require coffee in the AM.
Neoprene is pretty much the worst thing ever and whoever invented them probably had a vested interest in diet plans. Just saying- for a friend.
Everything lined up and ready to go!
Ya know, just seeing the sights. 
Average Sunday at the pool.
The Jaws theme song was playing in my head... 
Do these make my feet look big?
BECAUSE WE ARE REALLY ATTRACTIVE PEOPLE, FOLKS.
And in case anyone out there cares, remember that book I said was great about Kenyan runners (Running with the Kenyans by Adharanand Finn), well a Kenyan runner won the LA marathon this weekend!  Congrats Daniel Limo!

Hope you're having a wonderful day,                                                                                                       
S                                                                                                                                                                 


2 comments:

  1. Glad it went good and got you feeling more confident!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, my husband and I have tossed around the idea of doing this (in Ohio...) but I am a tad nervous, and get a little panicky thinking about it. We just love the idea of being able to Scuba everywhere we vacation. It looks like so much fun though!

    ReplyDelete