Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Lima For A Day

6e5f8427528b789c71847a6f295f2bac
Via
Guys, the time has come. The countdown for our South American adventure can be better stated in hours rather than days. HOURS, Y'ALL! Now that the whole thing seems even more real, it is so exciting to focus on the final few details that aren't exactly 100% buttoned up yet. And honestly there is one part of our trip that has been completely overlooked in our planning.

Traveling down to South America is surprisingly difficult- even coming from a large city like LA! It is even harder when you have to travel to about as far South as possible. A few months ago when picking out flights, the thought of back-to-back-to-back international flights seemed a like a poor way to start off a vacation where we are going to be trekking, hiking, and camping. I think that it would be positive for all of us if we avoid as many situations that can lead to ANY ADDITIONAL STRESSORS. I don't want to give Andrew any additional reasons to push me off a glacier. So due to predictive behavior and sheer luck of aviation, we were able to break up our flights for a mini-trip in... Lima, Peru.

Photo: Parade in Lima, Peru
Via
Sounds great. But now what? How can we possibly explore even part of Lima in a mere 8 hours. I KNOW! 8 hours! Actually way less than 8 hours. It is exactly 8 hours from when our plane lands to when our plane takes off. So include all the fun things that happen in an airport where you don't speak the language and you've just woken up on an airplane thousands of miles from home and we probably have 4 hours in the city. 4 HOURS, I KNOW!

So although I'm bummed that we won't be able to really dig our teeth into even one millionth of this city, focusing on the positives means that we have the opportunity to add one more city to our travels. So now priority one is planning what the heck to see in Lima for 4 hours. Understanding that we will be coming off an overnight flight, I think it will be ideal to make a list of some of the top possibilities to see and we can explore as our energy levels and the travel gods see fit.

So without further ado, here is our list of things that our on possible lists for one afternoon in Lima:
Via

Huaca Pucllana- This adobe and clay pyramid, found in the Miraflores district of Lima, is an archaeological site estimated to be from 500 AD and really caught my eye. It is a piece of ancient history just blocks away from modern Lima and steps away from their own restaurant. The site was both a site for religious or ceremonial activities and community center. It is known as the heart of the Lima Culture (a group from 200 to 700 AD). This site looks very interesting, but is in Miraflores instead of the city center of Lima- don't know if we will get the time to make the trek.

Walking through an archway of water at Parque de Agua in Lima
Via
Water circuit- The Circuito Magico del Agua is the largest public water complex in the world and looks spectacular! Seeing as how public art is literally part of my job, I think that this looks amazing, whimsical, and right up my alley. Everyone recommends that you should go during the evening and unfortunately that won't work with our schedule, but it looks so cool.

Via
Plaza de Armas/ Plaza Mayor
- is the heart of Lima... so I feel like we have to make the stop. Not only is it surrounded by the Government Palace, Cathedral of Lima, Archbishop's Palace of Lima, the Municipal Palace, and the Palace of the Union, but it has been the site of so much history. It is gorgeous and has a certain charm that I feel like even in a jetlagged stupor we will enjoy.

Via
Larco Museum- This has been on the top of all the 'must do' lists that I've seen. The museum showcases over 4000 years of Peruvian history and the land used to be home to a pre-Columbian pryamid. The museum focuses on pre-Columbian art, but randomly has a gallery of erotic pottery. Yeah, I had to read that a couple times too. 

Church of San Francisco
Via
Via

Church of San Francisco- So to be honest, my sister says that this site is a little (stomach) unsettling. She went on her way back from Macchu Pichu and the catacombs did her in. All the guidebooks recommend this church and they say the catacombs have over 25,000 different people's remains. It definitely looks interesting, but I'm not quite sure this one is making the cut on our mini-trip.


Travel Guide Lima
Via
Ceviche- "You must not leave Lima without stuffing yourself with ceviche"- OK. Sounds good. NO qualms with this one. One of the easiest ways to experience a culture is through your tummy and I'm hungry already.

Via
Pisco Sours- This one is like the ceviche. It is already a done deal. Nothing says 'lets get this vacation started' like an adult beverage and Lima is known for these tasty cocktails. And for you drinking history buffs out there, pisco sours were inspired by whisky sours in the 1920s and the want to use pisco, a local liquor distilled by grapes.

So what would you spend 4 hours in Lima doing? Anyone been there?
-S

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your pictures from your trip! I vote that you do Huaca Pucllana, the water circuit and Church of SF. I think the church would be at the top of my list. I still kick myself that I didn't go to the Catacombs when I went to Paris. Plus the food and drinks but that's a given!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you see the light in terms of food and drink. I felt silly for including, but YES I WANT THAT!

    ReplyDelete